Wednesday 26 October 2011

WERE IN WITCH COUNTRY NOW

TRAVEL CATCH UPS

Nestled deep in the heart of massachusetts witch country lies the Jiminy Peak Alpine resort, where the Paradise Tattoo Gathering was held. After a 4 hour drive and 2 flights from Oregon, Mick, Jeff and I all arrived a little tired but high spirited. Unable to check into our room under a friends name Mick and I high tailed it to Shawn Barbers 6 hour painting seminar, which proved to be very challenging as the chewed ends of my paint brushes are probably well aware. 
the little blue cartage we stayed in
the view from the backdoor
paint palette for Shawn Barbers seminar
The convention itself was very different to any that I've been to in the past. There was very little foot traffic, being essentially in the middle of nowhere, so there was really only tattooers and serious collectors about giving the whole place a super relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Hanging out in the booth with Mick, Jeff and the newly acquainted Shawn Hebrank was a delight, and I also got an amazing cookie recipe from a friend of Shawn's! 
opening party.
workhorse irons gave us treats.
Jeff and Shawn working hard in the booth
Conventions are always so awesome to meet new people as well as catch up with friends in far away places, like Nick who took me on my first alpine slide. I was a little apprehensive, as the ride is self controlled and I'd only heard stories of tattooists flying off the slide going too fast around a corner, or getting smashed into from the person coming down the slide behind them. The top of the slide was a mile up a mountain via chair lift where they give you a toboggan like device to sit in with one lever "PUSH FOR GO, PULL FOR BRAKE". A big thanks to Nick, I never would have done it if he hadn't asked, and it was TONNES of fun! and I didn't impale myself on a tree or injure myself in any way shape or form, I even managed to hold my skirt the whole way down and none saw my under garments. Big win I'd say.
mine and nicks feet on the chairlift
The setting was so picturesque especially thanks to the weather which held out and gave us 3 days of sunshine for the gathering and a beautiful blue backdrop for the mountains. 
actual babbling brook
windmill energy oooh.
The whole trip was so lovely and I learnt so much I've almost forgotten the 4am departure and almost missing our train out and our following 12hour layover in the worst airport ever.
Kittyxx

2 comments:

shawn hebrank said...

yay! i just found your blog, and I'm in it! so glad to have met you, and hope that it happens again soon!

KITTY DEAREST said...

same here, it was so lovely to hang with you, and your friends are really nice too...
i can't wait to try out the vegan cookies, our oven is a little moody though so fingers crossed